Newton Township (an Equal Opportunity Employer), in Lackawanna County, is accepting applications for two full-time positions in its Public Works Department. The general duties of both positions routinely include, but are not necessarily limited to the following: road maintenance; storm pipe and ditch construction; general maintenance and repair of municipal grounds, buildings and equipment; snow plowing; and, general labor/municipal work. The ability to safely and effectively use and operate vehicles/trucks, machines, power/hand tools, and other equipment is required.
Responsibilities include supervision of DPW staff while also engaging in assigned/necessary Township work, scheduling and assigning work, ability to use independent judgment as a supervisor, preparation of reports for monthly Township meeting, heavy equipment operation, operation of Township vehicles, snow plowing, general labor, ability to lift heavy items, road and property maintenance, ensuring that all work is performed in a safe manner, and timely completion of all assigned work. Prior supervisory experience, as well as knowledge of and experience with municipal work, is preferred.
Responsibilities include the use and operation of heavy equipment operation, operation of Township vehicles, snow plowing, general labor, ability to lift heavy items, road and property maintenance, performing work in a safe manner, and timely completion of all assigned work. Prior municipal work experience is preferred.
The normal working hours for both positions are Monday through Friday 7:00 am to 3:30 pm. However, hour of work may vary depending on the Township's needs and additional, overtime and/or on-calls hours may at times be required as determined by the Township.
The minimum job requirements for both positions include:
- Minimum high school completion or equivalency.
- A valid Pennsylvania driver's license and Commercial Driver's License (CDL Class A), as well as a clean driving record, are all required.
- Reliable means and ability to report to work on time as scheduled.
- Ability to perform all essential functions of the position with or without reasonable accommodation.
- Must pass all pre-employment requirements and testing, including physical and drug testing.
- Ability to work any schedule or hours as assigned and determined by the Township, including as necessary due to emergency conditions (such as weather) and other unanticipated circumstances.
Although not required qualifications, additional consideration will be given to those applicants with established mechanical, plumbing, electrical, masonry, truck and heavy equipment maintenance and repair, and similar skills relevant to the work to be performed in these positions.
Submit a letter of interest, application, resume and salary requirements to: Newton Township, Attention: Secretary, 1528 Newton-Ransom Boulevard, Clarks Summit, PA 18411 or send electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. You can download our application here. Applications may also be obtained at the Township Office.